Thank you from your winner Nuala

I applied to take part in I’m a Scientist because I thought it would be good fun – and I was right! I’ve never done any work with school children before so I thought this would be a great introduction to see what it was like. I was shocked at how many great questions I was getting asked by the kids, some of them really stumped me and I had to think really hard about them! I think the live chats were my favourite part of the whole experience. The first live chat I did was mental; I don’t think I have ever had 30 minutes fly by so fast. It was great getting to chat directly with the kids taking part, and getting to expand more on different topics the kids were interested in. I hope the kids enjoyed it as much as I did, and maybe learnt some things about the earth as well!

I never thought I would win – I was so shocked when I got the email saying I was the winner of the earth zone! It was a win win situation for me as I had such a great time taking part, and now I get to do some more with the money I won!

I haven’t fully decided what I am going to do with the prize money (mainly because I didn’t think I was going to win!). I want to go into secondary schools and bring some interesting experiments to help teach the kids about the ocean, the atmosphere and climate change. I liked science when I was at school, but the experiments I got to do were pretty boring. I think showing how to make a weather station and then predict the next day’s weather is something the kids would enjoy. I will be able to visit a few different schools which will be great. Hopefully it will be as good as the live chats on I’m a Scientist!

If there are any school in Liverpool that took part in the earth zone then let me know if you would like me to come to your school when I have designed the experiments!

Nuala

Posted on July 13, 2012 by in News. Leave a comment.